Grange Farm Cottage Whitby, self catering accommodation on the Yorkshire Coast
High Hawsker, Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO22 4LF, England
Free wireless broadband in the holiday cottage.
Please note it is essential that all prospective clients are aware when making a booking that we offer parking for a maximum of 4 cars. Due to the size and the lay out of the village no other convenient parking is available.
Activities / links
Here are some suggestions of what there is to do in the area.
- Guisborough - Thursday & Saturday
- Helmsley - Friday
- Kirbymoorside - Wednesday
- Pickering - Monday
The area around Hawsker is excellent cycle terrain. The new "Moor to Sea" cycle route passes through the village. Trailways cycle hire centre is only a few minutes walk from the house. For information on bike hire call 01947 820207.
- Whitby golf course (18 holes) Tel. 01947 600660, visitors are welcome
- Ruswarp (9 hole) Tel. 01947 820550, open March - End October
- Scarborough South Cliff golf course (18 holes) Tel. 01723 374737
- Scarborough North Cliff golf course (18 holes) Tel. 01723 360786.
- River Esk at Ruswarp. Permits from Mr. Simms, Tel.01947 604658
- River Esk at Egton Bridge. Tickets from Egton Estates.Tel. 01947 895466
- River Esk at Danby. Permits and licences available at Danby P.O. tel. 01287 660220 or Duke of Wellington Inn Tel. 01287 660351.
- Whitby - contact secretary of the Whitby Chartered Skippers Association: Mr. J. Witton Tel. 01287 660118
Lakes & Reservoirs
- Lockwood Beck Reservoir - (Rainbow and Brown Trout) Tickets available form fishing lodge. Tel. 01287 660501
- Castle Howard Lake. Day tickets on site from the Bailiff. Tel. 01653 648316
- Pickering Trout Lake. Tel. 01751 474219
- Scaling Dam Reservoir - Tickets from the on site dispensers. Tel. 01287 640214
- Wykeham Lakes, Scarborough. Tel. 01723 863148
Rowing & Canoeing
River Esk at Ruswarp. Tel. 01947 602110 - www.ruswarp-pleasure-boats.co.uk
The coast in between Saltburn and Scarborough is famous for its geology and fossils. You can try and find fossils yourself on the coast. Runswick Bay is a good place to start. Scalby is also a good place for fossil hunting. In "Jackons Bay" in Scalby you can see actual dinosaur footprints. For more information go to www.dinocoast.org.uk
There is a riding centre in Robin Hood's Bay, Tel. 01947 880249 for more information.
Off Road Centres
- The North Yorkshire Off Road Centre in Robin Hood's Bay. Tel. 01947 88037
- Langdale Quest in Langdale End, Scarborough, Tel. 01723 882375, www.langdalequest.co.uk
- Whitby Abbey - A new visitor centre opened in 2003. For more information and opening times call 01947 603568, or click here.
- Whitby Museum and Pannet Art Gallery - Cover the history of Whitby. Lots of interesting displays, giant fossils, model ships, jewellery collections. Information about Captain Cook and Scoresby. Tel. 01947 602908.
- Captain Cook Memorial Museum in Whitby - Tel. 01947 601900
- The Old Coastguard Station in Robin Hood's Bay - Tel. 01947 885900
- Scarborough Castle - Tel. 01723 373333
- Eden Camp near Malton - Modern History museum, located in former P.O.W. camp. Lots of information about the WW II. Tel. 01653 697777 - www.edencamp.co.uk.
- Helmsley Castle - Tel. 01439 770442.
- York Castle Museum - Tel. 01904 687687, www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk
- Yorvik, The Viking Centre in York - Tel.01904 643211, www.vikingjorvik.com
- Trattles and Geall, Church street, Whitby, www.trattlesandgeall.com
- Robert E. Fuller gallery, www.robertefuller.com
Other attractions / fun things to do / theme-parks
- Ghost Walks in Whitby - Experience it yourself!!! Tel. 01947 602138.
- Steam train of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway - Runs in between Grosmont and Pickering. Tel. 01751 472508, www.northyorkshiremoorsrailway.com.
- Sea Life & Marine Centre in Scarborough - Experience marine wildlife from all around the world., Tel. 01723 376125, www.sealifeeurope.com.
- Castle Howard & Gardens near Malton - Stately Home which has been used for various TV programs and films. The beautiful gardens are certainly worth a visit. A restaurant and garden centre also on site. Tel. 01653 648333, www.castlehoward.co.uk
- Flamingoland near Malton & Pickering - Theme park & Zoo. Tel. 01653 668287, www.flamingoland.co.uk.
- Cruckley Animal Farm in Foston-on-the-Wolds near Driffield - Tel. 01262 488337, www.cruckley.co.uk.
- Dalby Forest in between Scarborough & Pickering. For more information visit www.forestry.gov.uk/dalbyforest.
- Paint your own pottery in Whitby at Doodlepots creative studio. Tel. 01947 825824.
- Winery / Farm holidays in Italy, near the wonderful town of Cividale del Friuli, in the area of Friuli Venezia Giulia. The winemaker Mr. Dimitri Pintar has won several awards for his outstanding wines. (Northern Italy, about 1 hour north of Trieste)